- Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA)
What is Title I?
Title I is the name of a government program that gives additional money to qualifying schools based on the number of low-income families.
Both Title I schools (Westwood Primary and Elementary) in Westwood ISD are schoolwide programs. This means that funds may be combined with other funds to upgrade the entire education program of the school as well as to provide additional help for all students on the campus.
How does our school receive Title I money?
First, the federal government provides funding to each state. Then, the Texas Education Agency sends money to Texas school districts. The amount each school receives is determined by the number of low-income students attending the school.
What do Title I programs offer?
Title I programs may offer:
- Additional teachers and aides
- Opportunities for professional development for school staff
- Extra time for teaching students the skills they need
- A variety of supplementary teaching resources methods
- An individualized program for students
- Additional teaching materials which supplement a student's regular instruction
- Parent involvement opportunities